Saturday, January 7, 2012

Outlaw Field: Arrival

The workers shove three small crates of supplies onto the chopper, and you're off. You get a chance during the flight to check the crates. One is filled with various medical supplies, and another contains a day's worth of field rations for four people. The last contains extra e-clips and a matching set of four walkie-talkies. The flight from Merc Town to Outlaw Field takes less than an hour, and although you spot a pair of winged draconic creatures during your flight, they ignore you and don't even change their course to investigate.

For imagery only... much has
changed since this pre-cataclysm
photo was taken... see text.
You make a quick pass over the old airport, and everything looks still. There aren't any signs of movement below. Over the years, it looks like the forest has reclaimed much of the west side of the airport, and the buildings that once stood apart from the trees now stand just inside the tree line. It is clear that Madcap employees have chopped down and removed some of the trees for better access. To the east, there are more forests off in the distance, but plenty of open fields in between with not much more than very high grass. Breaking the monotony, to the east there is also a building that looks to have been built on the foundation of the large home on the map Prestin showed you.

Your landing is smooth, and Valen begins powering down the chinook. As the chopper blades slow and the noise of the machine subsides, you find yourself in the open field to the east of the main buildings. The grass is about waist high here, but closer to the buildings it has been cleared or trampled to a much more manageable height. One of the smaller hangars has been completely demolished, but the rest are standing, even if they are in serious disrepair. The main building to the south is overgrown, surrounded by trees and covered in moss.

The remains of what looks to have been a camp are strewn about in the elbow of the "L" of the hangars, and there are a few vehicles parked nearby.

All is silent except for the grass rustling in the breeze.

What do you do?

OOC Notes: Unless Eric responds, I'm going to assume that Valen stays back to guard the chopper. Also, if you want to back up and interact with the draconic creatures, that's fine as well... just let me know.

16 comments:

  1. I take my NG-57 Ion Blaster. "So what's next Mr. Mason? May I suggest taking a llok at the camp over there?".

    ReplyDelete
  2. "Yeah, Fred. I definitely want a look at that camp. We're going to have to keep an eye on those hangers, though. I don't anything sneaking up on us while we're rummaging through stuff
    OOC: Is the goth girl packing? I didn't think to ask before now. I'm also carrying my laser pistol on my hip, and my laser rifle in hand.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Myra follows your lead and draws her own weapon, a Wilk's 227 pulse pistol. "Camp seems like a reasonable place to start," she says.

    You approach what remains of the camp cautiously. There are all sorts of common items strewn about a large area, and there are also a good number of boxes and crates as well. Many of the boxes look as if they have been torn open. You note several sleeping bags, some rolled, some unrolled. Occasionally, you think you can smell something rotten, but it is neither strong nor continuous.

    Still, you see no movement other than the grass and tree branches swaying in the breeze, and you don't hear anything else either. Two of the three vehicles parked nearby are standard civilian models: big pick-up trucks. The third is a Mountaineer ATV.

    You keep an eye on the hangars as you come closer. All of them are closed except for two. One has a side door that seems to have been knocked off of a few hinges in such a way that it hangs awkwardly, not really open but not entirely closed either. The other's main door is open just enough that a man crouching could crawl under. There are no lights inside, and you can't see into either building.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OOC Are there any documents, briefcases, or bags? What about safes or lockboxes? Is there any sign of a struggle or blood stains?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You don't see any documents or briefcases. The vast majority of items here are purely for survival: tents, sleeping bags, containers for food and drink, and the occasional conventional (SDC) firearm or knife.

      On closer inspection, it looks like the damaged boxes and crates were torn apart by something with fangs or teeth. Other than the damage to the containers, however, you don't see any other evidence of violence.

      Delete
  5. They left the cars...and may it "something" came through that hangar door?
    I check the boxes and crates to see if anything is specially missing (I mean, do they lack of foot, or equipment, etc.). I also try to get a personal item (for the Read Object psy-power, maybe we can get some for info). I ask Myra if she's able to use that power too?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One hunting knife appears well-used and catches your eye. It has an engraving that reads: "Best dad in the wold." You wonder if the engraving was a mistake on the part of the engraver or if it was transcribed precisely as a child might have misspelled it.

      Trying to discern more about its owner, you try to read the object. You sense that it was owned by a decent and good man, and that he is still alive somewhere. You glimpse images (from the viewpoint of the previous owner) of some kind of celebration, perhaps a birthday party, with a young boy and a very pregnant woman. This image dissolves and is replaced with the man outdoors, in this very field, frantically packing a crate. He keeps glancing back at the main building on the south end of the airport. He screams, "NO! Don't...!" and then stands up to run toward the same building he kept glancing back to. And then the vision ends.

      Delete
    2. We should explore the main building...very carefully. Be ready for anything.

      Delete
  6. Meanwhile, Myra hasn't responded to the question about whether or not she can read objects. She has been concentrating on trying to get her own impressions of this place. Finally, she appears to relax, but still doesn't look very happy as she says, "I can't tell much, but I know we're not as alone here as it would seem."

    OOC: Just playing around with this new threaded comments feature. Let me know if you find it useful or just distracting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. OOC: I think it quit sending me e-mails. LOL I got on here this morning to give you guys a hard time about not posting in a while. Much to my suprise, there were three posts on here I had not yet seen.

    Do I know what Fred is seeing? If not, I don't guess I should comment on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "I agree with Myra. Mr. Mason,we are not alone here. It seems the threat comes from the main building. I'm not sure what is it but people in the compound were very scared of it. Probably many died because of it".

      Delete
  8. I still want to quickly sweep these hangers for hostiles before to make sure nothing follows us into there.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Myra glances back and forth from the hangars to the main building. "Unfortunately, I can only tell that we aren't alone. I can't tell how many others are here, and I can't tell which direction they're in. I can see the logic behind both plans. Hangars or main building first?"

    OOC: A few things I want to ask of you...

    1. Do we want a leader in the group? Someone whose response I should assume everyone agrees with if nobody argues within a given period of time? I haven't had time to respond lately, but I intended to just run with Quim's suggestion to investigate the main building next. I'm not sure if that's the right response for me as the GM... but I also don't want to speed things along if there is further input that just hasn't been posted yet.

    2. Let's determine a default marching order (or at least some formation). Myra is going to want to be in the back. Am I right to assume that Kendrick will take point?

    3. Do you want a separate page for out of character discussion? I just realized that I've written more OOC here than I wrote for the story itself...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 1. We can assume Quim's leadership, seeing as he has the most experience with RPGs. I'm ok with that.

      2. Kendrick, Fred, Myra would be ideal.

      3. That's probably a good idea.

      Delete
  10. 1. I was assuming Matt leadership as his character is more military experienced than mine.

    2. Agreed in the marching order.

    3. OCC separed may disperse the information. I'm ok with the current way, but I don't oppose a setapared page for OCC.

    ReplyDelete